Location: Cambois, near Blyth, Northumberland
Local authority: Northumberland County Council
Postcode of nearby property: NE24 1RQ
Size: c19 hectares (c47 acres)
Site status: Approval granted but on hold until market recovers and improves
• The site was formerly used as a colliery then later by the Vald Birn Foundry. The foundry closed in 2006 leaving a large derelict site in the heart of the coastal community. The redevelopment proposals covered this part of the site together with adjacent playing fields and allotments all of which will be retained and improved albeit in new locations. Some industrial uses will be relocated within the Cambois area
• Banks Property received unanimous planning permission for its plan remediate and clean up former industrial land and build 323 homes and shop and GP’s surgery in May 2012. Work on the site has not yet started as a result of challenging market conditions in this part of the North East. When the market recovers work on this project will start in earnest
• The aim of the project is to create a new seaside community from the ashes of an industrial past which will be an exciting environment to live and work in and enjoy in leisure time. By working with local people Banks has arrived at a proposal which has strong local support
• Construction jobs during the remediation and construction phases.
• Local sustainable facilities such as the shop and a greater number of people in the community to sustain it and other retail uses such as the pub.
• Overall improvement to the area better quality houses and values of property. Retention of the industrial uses in more suitable locations within Cambois
• Improvements to the area and better service such as public transport and critical mass to support the school and potential GP surgery and community facilities
• Removal of derelict site in a prominent location and improvements to public open spaces such as the playing fields and the allotments