Location: Opposite the Meadowfield Industrial Estate. About 2 miles or just over 3km south west of Durham city centre
Local authority: Durham County Council
Postcode of nearby property: DH7 8HT
Size: About 11 hectares (c27 acres)
Site status: Permission granted in September 2015. Construction by house builder, Avant Homes, started on site in December 2016 under the development name Broadmeadows.
271 new two, three and four bedroomed family homes. This mix of homes is suitable for families and first time buyers. Avant Homes is currently building and selling homes on site in a range of styles on the site.
• Junction improvements at the top of Browney Lane at the junction with the A690
• New employment opportunities during the construction phase of development
• The development will help to sustain local services, including the social clubs and the Browney Academy primary school
• It could also increase demand for local shops or encourage new shops to open
• 20 per cent affordable housing on site
• Payments of over £320,000 towards public arts and community benefits within the site and the Browney area
• A new village green sits in the centre of the site and a new wetland area, which forms part of the sustainable drainage system to be incorporated in the site will be created at the southern end
• The existing allotments operated by the Brandon and Byshottles Parish Council are retained and do not form part of the development scheme
• The existing public right of way is retained along the southern boundary
Browney Lane Key Information