Established in 2006, Banks Renewables protects natural resources by developing, operating and managing renewable and flexible electricity generation and storage. Our development team works on onshore wind, solar developments and battery storage projects from inception, throughout operation and through to completion while developing with care
The overall objective of the role is to lead, manage and motivate multi-disciplinary internal and external teams within an agreed project management framework to deliver successful projects to maintain a growing renewables development firm.
To deliver value from a portfolio of complex established projects, by progressing projects through the development lifecycle whilst maintaining a proactive approach to risk management at all times. The job holder will be responsible for the development and delivery of project strategies, whilst demonstrating excellent cost control, and cognisance of health and safety requirements.
THE ROLE AND WORKING ENVIRONMENT:
We are seeking a Project Manager to join our growing renewables team in Hamilton, Scotland. Banks Renewables has recently been acquired by one of the world’s largest investors in renewable power and climate transitions assets, with over 31,000 MW of generating capacity globally. As part of our team, you will lead the development and implementation of optimal project strategies for projects from inception up to financial close.
We are seeking a Project Manager to join our growing renewables team in Hamilton, Scotland. The role is primarily office based with some home working and travel as and when the project’s demand.
As part of our team, you will lead the development and implementation of optimal project strategies for projects from inception up to financial close. A successful project strategy is the one which knits all aspects of the project together, understands and navigates all key risks, is commercially viable, meets the business’ hurdle rates, strikes the best possible balance between risk and reward, has the best chances of planning success, and is ultimately deliverable.
We are looking for a motivated individual with a passion for renewables who wants to develop their project management career and support Banks Renewables as a leading renewable energy developer.
The successful candidate will be a keen strategist with the ability to work within a dynamic and collaborative development team of Project & Community Managers, Planners, Community Managers, Land Managers, Engineers, Analysists, Finance experts, Market experts, Project Secretaries, Accountancy Reps et al.
We encourage individuals to bring themselves, their skills, and their experience to the fore in a structured and innovative way with clear job specifications and responsibilities which encourages flexible / lateral thinking, problem solving, negotiation, and leadership qualities that are essential to deliver successful projects.
The environment is flexible, intellectually fulfilling with a positive, hard-working ethos at its core.
The individual would be working in a collaborative and close-knit environment with everyone buying in as necessary to deliver the businesses aspirations for value creation and growth in the renewable energy sector.
KEY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Lead, manage and motivate project teams to deliver successful project outcomes supporting delivery of business targets and growth aspirations.
- Manage projects in line with the Banks Renewables Project Management Framework (PMF)
- Co-ordinate and develop optimal and holistic strategies for projects – balancing commercial risk, planning success likelihood and deliverability.
- Develop proposals for and implementation of sound risk management throughout the project’s lifespan. Ensure every project has a risk management strategy that is enacted.
- Develop and maintain accurate core project documents. These documents must be reflective of the project strategy and include Financial Appraisal, Programme, Cashflow, Budget, Health and Safety Information, Risk and Opportunity register.
- Ensure efficiency improvements and cost reduction aligned with strategic project targets.
- Successfully deliver projects from inception and site identification through engineering design, planning consents, due diligence, financial close and construction.
- Work closely with senior management team in the implementation of the portfolio strategy.
- Working with the Projects Director to support the skills development of the wider project management team.
- Develop and maintain key external relationships (with the support of Estates and Community Managers and Planners) with project decision maker influencers including statutory bodies, politicians, landowners and the host communities.
- Notwithstanding the delegation of responsibilities within a project team, the Project Manager is fundamentally responsible and accountable to the business for all areas of a project including but not limited to:
- Health and Safety Management
- Budgetary control and Procurement
- Financial assessment and appraisals
- Risk/Opportunity identification, assessment, and management
- Management of projects in line with the agreed PMF
- Ensuring projects have the requisite authority levels to progress and managing business expectations,
- Project QA and standards
- Project Assurance to the BRL board
- Project sponsor management
- Programme management
- Conflict management
- Resource management
- Project administration
Fundamentally contact will be with the Senior Project Manager and internal colleagues and managers. External contacts will be with suppliers, consultants, and local authority personnel.
The post holder will find their time to be largely office-based or remote working and visits to sites and satellite offices, meetings with contractors, consultants and suppliers.
QUALIFICATIONS, KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE:
- Degree level or equivalent qualifications.
- At least 3 years of project management and leadership experience on commercial scale renewable energy or property development projects.
- Base level understanding of project management principles i.e. PRINCE 2, APM or RICS or similar qualification(s).
- Solid understanding of valuation methods, budgeting practices and general understanding of accounting principles.
- Proven people management skills.
- Knowledge of health and safety legislation or qualification.
- Experience of co-ordinating multidisciplinary teams.
- Broad understanding of renewable energy technologies and their application.
- Detailed understanding of risk identification, measurement, reporting and mitigation principles.
- Track record of strategy development and implementation in the delivery of complex projects. Must be able to provide examples.
- Track record of managing multiple projects at the same time.
- Demonstrable understanding of the UK planning system.
- Degree in environmental, renewable energy, property, engineering or other science background.
- Professional qualification RICS, IEMA, APM or other relevant qualification.
- Solid knowledge of the town and country planning process and the necessities for achieving deliverable planning consents.
- Whole life experience from site identification through financing due diligence to construction and delivery.
- Commercially minded,
- At ease working with senior management level within an organisation.
- Must have a natural affinity with people and a high level of self-awareness.
- High personal resilience when promoting changes to the status quo.
- Capable of handling several projects simultaneously.
- Good judgement and problem solver, showing logical decision making. Ability to prioritise and work flexibly in response to project and business demands.
- A self-starter, with the ability to negotiate, influence and motivate team members in a dynamic environment.
- Ability to work in strategic way, but also comfortable in managing the day to day details in a hands-on way.
- Independent thinker and prepared to adapt and challenge current practices where appropriate.
- Good listener consistently delivers on their commitments and promises, and knows when to accept and when to challenge.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Proven ability to build strong, productive relationships with internal and external stakeholders in a manner that results in mutually positive outcomes and credibility.
- Ability to role model actions and behaviours consistent with the company values including integrity and honesty.
- Good verbal and written communication skills, with the ability to liaise with senior management and technical functions.
- A team player capable of delivering excellent results under pressure and to deadline.
- A positive ‘can do’ enthusiastic attitude towards addressing the technical challenges.
- Display resilience and perseverance on long term projects.
- Comfortable with semi-regular travel, sometimes at short notice, including site visits and overnight stays.
Competitive salary is only one part of the many fantastic benefits you will receive if you join The Banks Group. You will also receive access to the following fantastic benefits:
- 33 days annual leave per year including bank holidays increasing with length of service.
- Offices and sites close between Christmas and New Year.
- Annual bonus scheme
- Pension scheme with employee and employer contributions.
- Free parking available at all offices and sites.
- There is a genuine commitment to developing our employees professionally and personally.
- Lots of support for health and wellbeing, including discounted membership at local gym facilities, access to a free 24/7, 365 days of the year Employee Assistance Programme (EAP) and access to a voluntary health cash plan which allows you to claim money back towards the cost of your essential healthcare, as well as providing access to valuable health and wellbeing services.
- Cycle2Work scheme which helps you buy a brand new bike, cycling equipment or both with Tax and National Insurance benefits.
- Generous life assurance scheme from first day of employment.
- Discounts are available via our online benefits portal, including money off at supermarkets, high street retailers, eating out, the cinema and days out at various attractions
APPLY TODAY by using the form below, or send your CV and covering letter detailing your relevant experience to: email@example.com
The closing date for applications is 04 February 2024. Sometimes we close a job early, so don’t delay or you might miss out.
Interviews will comprise of a two stage process with first stage interviews likely scheduled for w/c 05 February 2024.
For further information contact Joe Hulme, HR Business Partner on firstname.lastname@example.org.
No recruitment agency queries at present required
Apply for this position
Please fill in your details and a member from the team will be in contact with you shortly.
"*" indicates required fields