Our plans to to build some of the UK’s most effective onshore wind turbines at Mill Rig Wind Farm, near Darvel in East Ayrshire were granted consent in September 2022. Straddling the South Lanarkshire and East Ayrshire border, Mill Rig will play host to six powerful wind turbines with an installed generation capacity of around 36MW – enough to meet the electricity needs of all the households in a town around the size of East Kilbride.
Our plan includes:
- 6 turbines with maximum tip heights of up to 250m
- Up to 36MW generation capacity – enough to power over 21,000 homes with green electricity*
- 30 years life span
Key project benefits
Connect2Renewables Fund for the first five years of the project
Connect2Renewables training and employment opportunities
Community updates and public consultation webinars
As the project has evolved through the pre-application process, we delivered two sets of online events. You can view our presentations, survey results and the questions and answers from our sessions. You can still direct questions to the project team and sign up for project updates using the form below. Please contact the team if you have any comments or would like to arrange a one to one session to discuss any aspect of the project.
Initial themes from our consultation
- The community are supportive of renewable energy
- Community councils are keen to work with Banks Renewables to develop the project sensitively. Each have active community development plans that can be supported by the project
- Local people want to support renewable energy and climate action
- Community members want us to carefully consider the impact on wildlife, biodiversity and the long-term effects of a development
- Local people want investment in local jobs
Local people want the impact of the community benefit fund to be proximate to the wind farm, and not based on borders.
- Sensitive consideration should be given to local water supplies, properties and roads during construction
What is happening?
Throughout the life of the Mill Rig Wind Farm project we want to work together with your local community to ensure that you are kept informed about what we are doing and you have plenty of opportunities to provide feedback.
Banks Renewables is part of the Banks Group and we provide renewable energy to help meet society’s demand for clean green electricity in a sustainable and considerate way. Development with care is at the heart of our way of working. It means respect and consideration for the environment, your local community, our employees and our business partners throughout the lifetime of our projects.
How can I get involved?
We really want to hear your views on the Mill Rig Wind Farm project. If you have any question in relation to the project please get in touch using the form below.
Mill Rig – Sign up
"*" indicates required fields