Location: Located about 5 miles (or around 8km) south west of Gateshead town centre
Local authority: Gateshead Metropolitan Borough Council
Postcode of nearby property: NE16 5HB
Size: c12 hectares (c30 acres)
Site status: Pre-planning
The Banks Group has owned the land south of Sunniside between Pennyfine Lane and A6076 (Stanley Road) since the early 1990s. Currently, with the region, and indeed the rest of the UK, in need of many new homes, Gateshead Borough Council is now proposing around 2,400 in various parts of the Borough including on parts of the green belt.
There is an indicative masterplan showing how 255 houses could be accommodated on site. There is potential for different layouts which might provide up to 300 houses on the site.
• Around £3m new homes bonus monies to be paid to Gateshead Borough Council
• Additional council tax revenue for Gateshead Borough Council provided by the new homes
• Road and traffic flow improvements created by the funding of a bypass by the new homes development
• The development will help to sustain local services
• It could also increase demand for local shops or encourage new shops to open
• There will be green space, footpaths, play facilities and – most importantly a section of bypass taking cars away from the village
• Wildlife corridors – we will protect the Tanfield Railway path and other footpath routes
• Green infrastructure – increases walking and cycling in the area