Location: 5 miles (c8km) north of Newcastle city centre and close to Newcastle International Airport.
Local Authority: Newcastle City Council
Postcode of nearest property: NE13 7BU
Size: c20 hectares (c49 acres)
Site status: Being constructed
Banks Property is developing land for housing to the west of Hazlerigg. Banks Property gained planning permission to build around 500 much needed homes on the Hazlerigg site, which will include a mix of 2, 3, 4 and 5 bedroom homes – but predominantly 3 and 4 bedroom homes.
The site is currently undeveloped, agricultural land and is bounded by housing and industrial estates to the north and east; allotment gardens to the south east; and Morley Hill Farm to the west. It was allocated for housing in the Newcastle Gateshead One Core Strategy, March 2015.
• In addition to around £1.15m council tax revenue, the project will generate a new homes bonus (paid by central Government) spread over six years, of about £7m for Newcastle City Council to spend on improvements and essential services within the area
• The development will also provide construction jobs for local contractors and suppliers
• Families that move into the area will increase footfall for local shops and businesses in Hazlerigg and the Brunswick Industrial Estate
• The project could also potentially provide additional funding to go towards education within the local area
• The project will generate new, high quality family homes to help retain families within the local area, which supports local services.
• It will provide affordable homes to help young families get on the property ladder, in the area where they grew up, as well as attracting new families to the area too, which will increase the spend in the local economy and strengthen the existing community
• It will also maintain existing, and create new, public footpaths
• The project will protect the neighbouring allotments and has already enhanced the neighbouring football club, through a grant for new perimeter fencing
• The homes will be built to modern energy efficiency standards
• The creation of a linear park through the site will provide extra open space for local people to enjoy, creating opportunities for walking and cycling in the area
• The project will also address drainage issues in the area
Thank you for supporting our Hazlerigg, Newcastle-upon-Tyne proposal. Please enter your details in the form below and let us know your reasons for supporting Hazlerigg, Newcastle-upon-Tyne in the free text box below. Some examples are: