Safe, responsible and efficient
Coal is still used for electricity generation in the UK. The latest figures for 2016 – 2017 show that between 2.1% and 11.2% of the UK’s electricity was generated from coal. Please see our Links page for references to various official Government statistics about coal.
Figures fluctuate depending upon the weather conditions and demand. Unabated coal fired power stations are due to come offline by 2025 under the Government’s current plans.
This is why the development of new surface coal mines is so important. By mining our own coal we:
- Increase the security of supply of power by reducing reliance on foreign countries for imported fuel
- Help keep consumer bills low
- Help the balance of trade deficit
- Provide valuable tax receipts and business rates to national and local government
- Reduce the distance coal has to travel, thereby saving carbon in transportation
- Ensure it is mined in a safe manner to the highest environmental standards
- Support local businesses who provide support services to surface mines
- Keep money and skills within the UK