PROJECT MANAGER (MINING), Meadowfield, Durham
Based in Durham, the Banks Group is a family-owned business with a diverse range of energy and property projects including surface coal mines, onshore wind farms and commercial and residential property developments. Founded in 1976, as a surface coal mining business, the organisation’s success ultimately paved the way for expansion into property development and renewable energy with the business now employing more than 340 people. For more information see: https://www.banksgroup.co.uk/
EMPLOYEES BENEFIT FROM
- Continuing professional development, including training opportunities
- Generous annual leave increasing with length of service, plus public holidays
- Company pension scheme
- Health and wellbeing discounts
- New car discounts with certain dealerships
To deliver all projects on time and within budget, taking into account all reasonable precautions to counter unforeseen, external influences. The job holder will continually lead activity to deliver the strategy of the project, drive down unit costs and improve profitability through risk management approach, by improving project efficiency without impairing standards of quality and safety.
To lead, manage and motivate the project team towards success:
- Lead the project team in developing and implementing agreed project strategy and business case.
- Leading the team in:
- developing and implementing strategy for new ‘mineral / coal sites’ through feasibility, design, planning permission and operational stages or
- securing new contracting work in a competitive tendering environment followed by overseeing contract management or
- a new business initiatives projects identified in the mining business.
- Leadership of the project team to develop concepts into finalised and approved design solutions.
- Co-ordination of the team in pursuing determination of planning applications, tenders or completion of earthworks and related contracts.
- Project team establishment and management.
- Management and chairing of Project meetings.
To ensure written documentation and procedures exist for all key activities:
- Co-ordination and preparation of planning applications, tender submissions and contracts of works.
- Co-ordination and preparation of commercial assessments and appraisals in conjunction with business team and engineering functions.
- Project planning and programme management.
- Project Management Information including project execution KPI’s, financial and budgetary data, risk registers and project approvals / sign off reports.
- Preparation of business and Board reports.
To work within all regulatory requirements and comply with internal policies and management guidelines:
- Working with the senior management team in implementing project strategy. To include Group Values, Project Management Protocol, Key Review Structure and Systems.
- Determining briefs for teams and consultants with functional managers.
- Health & Safety co-ordination on the projects.
- Successful negotiation of planning or technical issues during the design and development phases.
To work within an approved budget and obtain best value for money:
- Budget control on projects, including preparation and management.
- Controlling expenditure and ensuring tendering for work and purchasing procedures are followed.
- Overseeing preparation and monitoring of financial appraisals and / or tendering proposals.
To contribute to and maintain a culture of continuous improvement where efficiency improvements are the norm:
- Development and implementation of existing and new project management systems within the appropriate business stream.
- Support relevant senior managers in implementing the forward development strategy to establish Banks as market leader in respect of profitability, operation, design and environmental standards
QUALIFICATIONS, KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE
- Formal recognised Project Management Qualification (RICS or APM preferred).
- Aptitude for and project management ethos, preferably gained in a sector related environment.
- Able to lead multi-disciplinary teams to consistently high-performance levels.
- High levels of numeracy and literacy, including report writing.
- Three years plus experience of managing projects in the extractive industries, groundworks or earthmoving sectors, with preferred knowledge of tendering and contract management of projects (not specifically coal or development orientated)
SKILLS AND APTITUDE
- Commercially minded, with a clear understanding of the criteria that businesses use to assess project feasibility and acceptability.
- At ease working at senior management level within an organisation.
- Must have a natural affinity with people and a high level of self-awareness.
- High personal resilience when promoting changes to the status quo.
- Capable of handling several projects simultaneously.
- Excellent project planning, organisational and management and skills.
- First class communication skills (written & verbal).
- Results driven with proven quality assurance bias.
- Sound judgement in all people and operations related matters.
- Resilient and resolute in pursuit of goals; gravitas to lead.
The deadline for applications is 22 March 2019.
Interview process comprises of first stage face to face interview. Successful candidates will be invited for second stage face to face interview with Personal Profile Analysis.
To apply please email your CV and covering letter, detailing your relevant experience, to email@example.com
For further information contact The Banks Group Human Resources Department on 0191 378 6100.
The Banks Group is committed to equality of opportunity.