As one of the UKs most successful land development teams, Banks Property develop and reclaim land for commercial and residential property development. An exciting opportunity has become available to join this highly professional and diverse Property team in the role of Technical Manager – Engineering. This new role will be an important and influential member of the Property team and will aid our aiding geographical expansion of the business into new areas. The role will involve being responsible for managing the engineering input to the development of the property portfolio, striving to achieve excellence, innovation and efficiencies across a wide range of development opportunities.
• Car allowance in lieu of company vehicle
• Discretionary annual bonus
• Continuing professional development, including training opportunities
• Generous annual leave increasing with length of service, plus public holidays
• Company pension scheme
• Health and wellbeing discounts
• New car discounts with certain dealerships
To work with the BPL business team to provide technical advice and engineering solutions to enable prospects and projects within the property portfolio to be assessed, consented, delivered and sold to achieve business plan objectives. Where required, this will involve providing advice and support to aid geographical expansion and new business initiatives primarily in North East of England and Yorkshire.
Reporting to the Head of Technical (HoT), carry out the following duties as directed:
1. Project Assessment
Provide the necessary engineering input to enable the Team to assess the viability, key risks and development costs and constraints for prospect sites through:
• Visiting target sites to establish and record conditions and procurement of information on e.g. ground conditions, services, drainage, contamination, earthworks, access, transportation and flood risk.
• Reporting on initial investigations and assessments of engineering issues, risks and constraints, both physical and statutory, focussing on identifying deliverable and costed solutions and options.
• Engaging with specialist representatives of relevant permitting organisations.
• Providing technical assistance and advice to the Team including where agreed, providing outline site designs considering and highlighting all known design constraints.
• Preparing briefs for formal appointments and liaising with consultants to identify efficient and practical future programmes of work with defined potential costs, risks and benefits.
• Agreeing technical issues for resolution with the respective project managers and agreeing a programme to resolution, monitoring and correcting performance where necessary.
2. Project Development
Working with the project managers and other team members to progress the design and permitting of the agreed technical solutions to meet project budget and programme objectives, including:
• Provide initial concepts to enable a project plan to be defined through:
o Detailed feasibility of access, earthworks and drainage solutions.
o Communication of concepts to internal and external stakeholders.
o Initial costing of options.
o Agreement with the Team and where necessary, 3rd parties.
• Provision of detailed costings and programmes consistent with the level of progress of the project.
• Devising and delivering strategies to obtain all necessary technical approvals and consents in line with agreed project programmes.
• Advising on and agreeing work requirements with project managers; working with the project manager to procure, brief and manage the consultant team to meet the objectives efficiently and effectively.
• Plan for and react to challenges; identify and consider options to save time and money throughout the development process and bring these to the Team for a decision.
• Review and where necessary challenge the progress and quality of the technical consultants work, ensuring compliance with the brief and taking appropriate action promptly in consultation with the project team.
• Represent the company in discussions to obtain 3rd party agreements and consents e.g. Highway Authorities and Environment Agency etc.
• Participate in project reviews to advise on the interpretation of technical information and assessment of risk, including the provision of technical reports where required.
• Attending public exhibitions and providing technical input to public consultations.
• Manage the production, storage and supply of technical information on the project ensuring information is up to date as required.
• Working with the project managers to assess and resolve site risks, assist in the production and updating of appropriate H&S information to ensure compliance with CDM requirements.
3. Project Delivery
Working with the Project Team to identify and implement the optimum means of procuring engineering works:
• Liaising with HJB Construction Team and external consultants to establish works performance parameters, management arrangements, programmes and budgets in line with objectives and obligations, prior to the commitment of projects.
• Monitoring works in liaison with the construction team to ensure early identification of acceptable solutions to technical, cost or programme issues – visiting sites, reporting progress, agreeing optimum solutions and budgetary implications in co-ordination with the project manager.
• Assisting the HoT or Commercial Manager in formulating delivery criteria for agreement with potential purchasers; assembling appropriate documentation and negotiating technical solutions and costs with external parties, where required.
4. Technical Management
Assisting the HoT in the day to day management of the engineering function through:
• Preparing and presenting information for decision making within senior management team, key reviews and project meetings.
• Provide input to and assist with maintaining the Health and Safety Management System.
• Provide effective management to direct reports and other Technical staff where appropriate to help ensure delivery of the Business Plan.
• Production of non-project specific technical reports as required by the HoT.
• Attend management meetings, technical reviews and other business meetings as required.
• Represent the HoT at meetings, where required.
• Assisting with recruiting and training technical staff to provide effective input to projects.
• Developing and maintaining contacts with key individuals from 3rd party organisations involved in decision making on projects.
• Developing and maintaining the technical protocols used by the team for the efficient delivery of operations and sales.
• Researching and implementing new solutions to respond to changes in market factors, legislation and procurement.
Contacts will be with all Directors, Managers and staff within the Group. Effective communication and negotiation with external parties, both regulators and customers will be essential, requiring professional relationships and networking to enable us to maintain the edge in relevant discussions and meetings.
You will have an influential role working within project teams to progressing the property portfolio. You will work closely with the Property HoT, Development Director, planners, project managers and other technical staff to ensure that all technical issues required to progress the property portfolio are identified and adequately addressed and optimised. The role will primarily be based in Meadowfield with periodic visits to regional offices, site visits and meetings with 3rd parties (consultants, regulators etc).
• A Civil Engineer with a minimum of 6 years relevant experience
• Technical qualification and industry experience
• Strong leadership and people management skills
• Good knowledge of Health and safety legislation
• Previous experience of managing staff
• Knowledge of engineering contract law
• Excellent working knowledge of UK Infrastructure design
• Experience of dealing with 3rd party regulators
• Good commercial awareness and financial management capabilities as they relate to the role
• Full driving licence and comfortable with travel, sometimes at short notice
• Experienced negotiator within specialist field
• Experience of contracting and works delivery process
• Proven management experience and expertise –proven record of developing work plans, co-ordinating works and driving work execution by ensuring works meet assigned schedules/budgets and achieve targets/objectives.
• Specialist knowledge in a core engineering discipline i.e. drainage
• Graduate member of a technically based professional organisation i.e. Civils or similar
• Committed to personal development, professional or otherwise
• Working knowledge of design software packages
• Knowledge of transport planning and process
• First class written and verbal communication skills
• Ability to motivate staff
• Strong desire to achieve success
• Comfortable carrying out site visits when required
• Integrity and the ability to lead through influence.
• Ability to demonstrate strong attention to detail, diligent and thorough in approach
• Good judgement, showing logical decision making, and a hands-on approach.
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills with ability to communicate effectively at all levels and in all formats.
• Ability to role model actions and behaviours consistent with the company values.
• Capable of independent thought and prepared to challenge current practice
• A good team player capable of delivering excellent results under pressure and to strict deadlines
• A positive ‘can do’ enthusiastic attitude towards addressing the technical challenges facing Banks Group
• Excellent people skills (particularly active listening, empathy and influencing)
• High personal resilience when faced with challenging situations
• Professional approach
• Strong work ethic
• Effective at working both independently and as part of a team
• Pro-active, motivated and used to working in a fast paced environment
The deadline for applications is Friday 21 February 2020. Interview process comprises of first stage face to face interview which will be held w/c 24 February 2020 and w/c 2 March 2020. Successful candidates will be invited for second stage face to face interview with Personal Profile Analysis.
To apply, please send a CV and covering letter detailing your relevant experience to: Human Resources, The Banks Group, Inkerman House, St John’s Road, Meadowfield, Durham, DH7 8XL, or by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org For further information contact The Banks Group Human Resources Department on 0191 378 6100.
The Banks Group is committed to equality of opportunity.