The job holder will be primarily responsible for negotiating Heads of Terms and Options and Leases (and any other alternative structure) in order to deliver full land assembly packages for the development sites within the Renewables forward programme. He/she will also assist in the search for new sites across the UK (onshore wind, solar and energy storage) to build a pipeline of renewable energy projects capable of achieving specific project and financial objectives contained in the BRL Business Plan.
• Continuing professional development, including training opportunities
• Cash Allowance in lieu of company car
• Generous annual leave increasing with length of service, plus public holidays
• Company pension scheme
• Health and wellbeing discounts
• New car discounts with certain dealerships
1 Take a lead role in delivering land rights and any associated land matters.
2 Represent the company in negotiating viable and cost-effective land deals that allow renewable energy projects to progress from initial site search through to agreed Heads of Terms in a timely manner so that external legal firms are then able to assist in concluding legal contracts.
3 Negotiate and secure land assembly packages on development sites for the company across Scotland, or specific areas in England and Wales, as may be agreed from time to time with the Head of Land Development, which fulfil the requirements of the company as set out in the Renewables Business Plan or by the Renewables Board from time to time.
4 Provide support to the Head of Land Development and the wider team in their efforts to develop a successful business plan and to provide specific help within land and business development areas.
5 Identify and approach landowners and agree site and individual negotiating strategies.
6 Instruct and effectively manage land agents, consultants and external solicitors in relation to securing land agreements.
7 Represent the company professionally, establishing and maintaining good relationships with landowners, tenant farmers, land managers, forestry managers or others who own and manage land to ensure they are well informed of developments and progress.
8 Advise BRL how best to manage their land assets, ideally including environmental responsibilities and obligations.
9 Provide professional advice on how emerging renewable energy regulations and practices may affect land strategies
10 Agree and review the site finding strategy and requirements with the Head of Land Development and the Business Development Manager on a regular basis.
11 Assist with any due diligence activity on land and property matters in relation to any acquisition and/or sale opportunities
12 Conform to the Banks Quality Project Management System as it relates to the job.
13 On occasion, be required to represent the Company at liaison meetings, consultations and landowner meetings etc., out with normal working hours.
14 Work with the wider BRL team members to achieve both individual and the Company’s Key Financial and Non-Financial targets.
1 Achievement of a portfolio of land assembly packages which are viable and commercially sound
2 Delivery of prospect and project milestones on time
3 Commercial value of prospects and projects are always maximised
4 All sites have a clear and robust land strategy
5 Enough resources are made available to the land negotiations and projects to avoid delay or reduction in quality
The role will report directly to the Head of Land Development by means of a weekly face to face meeting and daily conversations to discuss site specific issues. Frequent liaison with key members of the BRL team and Project Secretaries, specifically to ensure all land goals are progressed to deliver targeted key review stages and milestones.
The role will require regular community liaison with a broad range of external stakeholders such as landowners and agents, legal advisors, consultants and local authorities
The role will be based at the Banks Office in Hamilton with visits to the Banks Head Office in Meadowfield, Durham required. Extensive travel will be required across Scotland and potentially Northern England. A car allowance will be provided in lieu of a company vehicle.
• Educated to Degree level (ideally rural surveying, estate management or a relevant discipline)
• Professional Qualification and/or experience preferably related to land / property, legal or energy
• Specialist knowledge of working with land agreements is essential, as is familiarity with property law
• Sound knowledge of sustainable land management practices including a good understanding of the farming and forestry sectors is highly desirable
• Confident and experienced negotiator
• Up to date understanding of the energy markets and issues pertinent to the valuation of land for renewable energy projects
• Excellent written English and report writing skills
• Ability to use GIS packages (and other standard PC packages) and read and interpret maps
• Full driving licence
• Excellent communication skills (both oral and written) and strong interpersonal skills
• An ability to convey complex concepts clearly to a wide range of people and personalities
• Influencing and negotiation skills
• Enthusiastic and positive attitude
• Comfortable dealing with business-to-business and business-to-customer transactions
• Strong work ethic
• Flexible and adaptive approach to work; comfortable with regular travel
• Self-starter capable of working remotely, and as part of a team
• Reliable and trustworthy
• Creating, Managing and Fostering Relationships
• Personal Accountability
• Timescales/Completing Tasks
The deadline for applications is 31 January 2020. Interview process comprises of first stage face to face interview which will be held w/c 3 February 2020. Successful candidates will be invited for second stage face to face interview with Personal Profile Analysis.
To apply, please send a CV and covering letter detailing your relevant experience to: Human Resources, The Banks Group, Inkerman House, St John’s Road, Meadowfield, Durham, DH7 8XL, or by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org For further information contact The Banks Group Human Resources Department on 0191 378 6100.
The Banks Group is committed to equality of opportunity.