Working under the Direction of the Technical Manager (and, where appropriate, Head of Technical / Transport Manager), to take responsibility for the technical and engineering aspects of an agreed proportion of the Property Team project workload, including:
- Providing the necessary engineering input to enable the Team to assess the viability, key risks, development costs and constraints of prospect sites through:
- Visiting target sites to establish and record conditions, desktop assessment and procurement of information on e.g. ground conditions, services, drainage, contamination, access, flood risk;
- Reporting on initial investigation and assessment of the engineering issues, risks and constraints, both physical and statutory, focussing on identifying deliverable and costed solutions and options;
- Investigating transport issues, establishing connectivity/ capacity concerns and defining solutions for sustainable modes;
- Engaging with specialist representatives of relevant permitting organisations and statutory authorities;
- Arranging surveys and site investigations necessary to define and reduce risk, obtaining quotations, placing orders and monitoring progress, budgets and change orders; and
- Participation in project reviews to advise on the interpretation of technical information and assessment of risk, including provision of reports and costing information appropriate for internal project review.
Working with the Project Manager and other team members (on more complex projects assisting the Technical Manager) to progress the design and permitting of the agreed technical solutions to meet project budget and programme objectives, including:
- Providing initial concepts to enable a project plan to be defined through:
- Detailed feasibility of access, geotechnical / earthworks, drainage and transportation solutions.
- Communication of concepts to internal teams and external consultants.
- Initial costing of options.
- Agreement within the Team and, where necessary, with 3rd
- Providing and updating cost plans and programmes for each project, identifying information, 3rd party agreements, consents and budget requirement;
- Advising on and agreeing work requirements with project managers; working with the PM to procure, brief and manage the Consultant team to meet objectives efficiently and cost effectively;
- Plan for and react to challenges in the process- identify and considering options to save time and cost throughout the development process and bring these to the Team for Decision;
- Review and where necessary challenge the progress and quality of the technical consultants work; taking the appropriate action promptly in consultation with the project team;
- Referring back to and briefing senior colleagues for advice and decision where the best solution is not clear including briefing colleagues where more senior level negotiation is required;
- Representing the company in discussions to obtain necessary agreements and consents from 3rd parties e.g. highway / service authorities, environment agency etc;
- Attending public exhibitions and providing technical input to public consultations;
- Managing the production, storage and supply of technical information on the project so it is up to date and available as required for submissions, agreements, sales etc;
- Working with the project managers to assess and resolve site risks, assist in production and updating of site health and safety information including hazard plans and risk assessments, as well as ensuring compliance with pre-construction CDM requirements; and
- Visiting sites to gather information, including assisting project managers where required with their periodic inspections to identify changes from and arranging works required to comply with site risk assessments.
Working with the Project Team and Technical Manager to identify and implement the optimum means of procuring engineering works:
- Liaising with the HJB Construction team and consultants to establish works performance parameters, management arrangements, programmes and budgets in line with objectives and obligations, prior to commitment of projects;
- Monitoring works, in liaison with the construction team, to ensure early identification of acceptable solutions to technical, cost or programme issues – visiting sites, reporting progress, agreeing optimum solutions and budgetary implication in co-ordination with the project manager;
- Ensuring BPL meets its requirements under relevant health and safety legislation; and
- Assisting the Technical Manager or Head of Technical in formulating delivery criteria for agreement with potential purchaser; assembling documentation.
Assisting the Technical Manager in the day to day management of the engineering function, through:
- Regularly and succinctly briefing the Technical Manager and, where requested, BPL Management Team / Head of Technical on the progress of the projects and requirement for necessary decisions; helping provide summary management information for communication to Senior Management;
- Providing input to and helping update and maintain the Health and Safety Management System;
- Creating, collating and maintaining information registers e.g. project costing information;
- Researching technical best practice and changes in statutory guidance and working practices relating to physical development in order to ensure projects and strategies remain competitive and compliant;
- Production of non-project specific technical reports as required by the BPL management team;
- Representing the senior staff at meetings, where required; and
- As and when directed, briefing and supervising junior staff carrying out technical work.